Steven Howard Roth's practice focuses on the areas of corporate/business transactions, real estate, intellectual property, and sports, media and entertainment law. He represents and counsels companies of all sizes on mergers and acquisitions, commercial and residential real estate transactions, copyright and trademark matters, franchise development, debt and equity financing, business formation, and construction projects. In addition, he regularly represents and advises borrowers and lenders in complex banking and finance transactions and assists startup businesses as they tackle everything from entity formation and growth to capital funding and securities law compliance. Steven Howard Roth also represents numerous media personalities, athletes, companies, and recording artists in contract negotiations for marketing/endorsement deals, recording and publishing contracts, and production agreements for podcast series, reality tv shows, and motion pictures.
Prior to starting Roth Firm, Mr. Roth worked for several private and public businesses and organizations, including as in-house counsel for a private equity company and as a legal consultant for a multi-billion dollar steel company. He has also worked for multiple professional sports teams, including NFL and NBA franchise teams, governing bodies, and sports agencies. Leveraging his background and expertise, Steven Howard Roth not only provides his clients with a full range of legal services, but also tackles matters that go well beyond the black letter of the law.
- Represented several holding companies in a $21 million CMBS refinancing of commercial plazas
- Represented engineering firm in $6 million construction agreement for new headquarters
- Represented insurance agency in asset purchase acquisition of another agency for $3 million
- Represented a chemical company in $6 million asset purchase deal
- Represented manufacturing company in its $25 million purchase of a manufacturing company’s assets
- Represented multiple mining companies in $15 million stock purchase agreement
- Represented holding company in a $20 million commercial shopping center refinancing
- Represented company in $25 million commercial shopping center renovation refinancing, and anchor tenant leasing
- Represented company in connection with $3.2 million purchase of residential apartment building
- Represented watercooler distributor in $33+ million membership interest purchase deal.
- Represented machining manufacturer in $10 million asset purchase deal.
- Represented wholesale corporation in complex $40 million hybrid stock and asset purchase transaction.
- Represented corporation in $1+ million sale and purchase of commercial real property and 1031 exchange.
- Represented a client in a complex podcast deal with one of the top podcast companies in the country.
- Represented a client in a lucrative life rights deal with a premier international production company for production of a television series and motion picture.
- Represented sports and entertainment company in $1.8 million asset purchase agreement of an interactive laser light show.
- Represented a sports and entertainment company in a complex minor league baseball stadium lease.
- Corporate & Transactional
- Real Estate
- Intellectual Property
- Sports, Media, and
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Securities Transactions
- Entrepreneurial & Emerging
- Joint Ventures &
- Private Equity
- Cybersecurity & Privacy
- J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- M.B.A., Case Western Reserve University Weatherhead School of Management
- B.A., Case Western Reserve University
- Selected to Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Corporate Law (2021, 2022)
- Selected as an "Ohio Super Lawyers - Rising Star" - Ohio Super Lawyers
magazine (2020, 2021)
- Client's Choice Award, Avvo - 2014, 2015
- Ohio Notary Commission Advisory Board
- Willoughby Hills Charter Review Commission Board, Vice Chairman
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Lake County Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Sports Lawyers Association
- Association of Corporate Growth - Cleveland Chapter
- To Sandbag or Not to Sandbag, That is the Question - USLAW Magazine+ (Spring 2020)
- Corwin Doctrine: Disclosure Deficiencies and Stockholder Approved Transactions - USLAW Magazine+ (Winter 2019)
- Music Licensing Basics for Brick and Mortar Business Owners - Eastern Lake CountyChamber of Commerce (October 2016)
Keller v. Electronic Arts: How Copyright Law Precludes Electronic Arts' First Amendment Defense - Texas Review of Entertainment & Sports Law, Volume 13, Issue 1 (Fall 2011)
- "Setting up Your US Business Operation – Things to Keep in Mind, Effective Strategies, and Pitfalls to Consider" - City of Mentor 3rd Annual Conference on Innovation and Trade (October 2020)
- "Doing Business in North America" - East Midlands Chamber of Commerce (July 2020)
- "Blockchain - What Is It and Its Impact on the Legal Field" - Roetzel Executive and Corporate Counsel Forum (November 2019)
- "Intellectual Property Law in Transactions - Trademark and Copyrights" - Lake County Bar Association (September 26, 2018)
- "Protecting Intellectual Property in Your Small Business: Trademarks and Copyrights" - Lakeland Community College/Ohio Small Business Development Center (July 19, 2018)
- "Marathons, Runs, and Races Law" - National Business Institute (July 26, 2017)
- "Music Law 101" - National Business Institute (June 11, 2015)